Monday, May 24, 2010

Week one in Costa Rica: Insights/Summary

We have been in Costa Rica for a week now! Cultural immersion is a wonderful experience. I think it’s the best way to experience how the people live and work. Each of us in our group had different experiences based on the family demographics, etc. I had a very stress free week, as it was just Maria and me. We didn’t spend a tremendous amount of time together in the evenings that would have made the language barrier awkward. We were able to communicate using hand gestures and visual displays. As the week progressed, my vocabulary improved…so the conversations improved. The Tico people are very family oriented and care much for each other. Every morning at 6 am (or there abouts), Maria walked 1 block from her house to get fresh bread. She also got bread and the newspaper, for a neighbor across the street, who is an invalid and home-bound. I loved being in her house and she took very good care of me! My laundry was washed and pressed everyday and she always had dinner ready when I got home from school! Unfortunately, I did not learn as much about her as I would have liked…because of our limited time together.
Our Spanish instructor was a young single woman. She has been teaching at CPI for 7 years and spent 2 years at CPI in Monte Verde. She said she would like to travel and would consider living somewhere else for 1 or 2 years, but would always return to Heredia, Costa Rica because that is where her family and friends are! I think that’s how the people here feel….they want to be where their family is!
It is sometimes frustrating to be in a country where I don’t speak the language; but I do not find it unmanageable. I have learned that I need to see the words, write the words, say the words (and repeat), before I can understand them. That’s a long complicated process that I imagine ESL/ELL students in classrooms deal with every day! There have been many days that I just couldn’t “take in” one more word. It’s hard to describe how that feels and is a new feeling for me. I was playing Bingo on Thursday night, and within 2 hours could no longer distinguish the number 5 from 20! It was as if my brain was on overload and simply locked up! Mentally exhausted took on a whole new meaning!
Some strategies I think will be helpful in the classroom: 1) Use visual displays 2) Label every object: books, walls, light switches, etc! 3) Use limited amounts of verbal instructions and use groups to complete assignments 4) Provide written instructions with the verbal instructions (important words translated or highlighted) 5) Use music and most important…6) Realize that ESL/ELL students will have days where they “shut down” and nothing will gained beyond that. Provide a period of rest or relaxation if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment