Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 6 en Costa Rica

Day 6: Mercoles, 19 Mayo 2010: Today we got an early start for the volcano Poaz. It is still an active volcano. The last eruption was December 25, 2009. You can still view that eruption on Youtube….so I’m told. Le Volcan Poaz es 2708 meters de altura. (I’ll have to look that up in feet….I can’t do that conversion so quickly). We were there about 15 minutes and had a very clear view of the principal crater before the smoke and clouds made visibility zero! The weather and the timing was perfect! I visited the museum and learned all about the history of the mountain.
We had a wonderful lunch at a place called Freddo Frescas. The owner was “Freddo” and he had lots of foods/drinks made of strawberries….cake, frescas (like slushies), etc. I love the restaurants that we have been to so far. Everything here is open….to nature. If it’s not actually outside, then there are windows everywhere. They have the most amazing flowers, plants, and fruits. I have fresh pineapple, bananas, papaya, watermelon, etc everyday. And what you don’t eat, you drink either with milk or water. They grow strawberries year round….as well as all of the other fruits. We stopped at a local shop on the way down from the volcano and he served us strawberries and chocolates, etc….free samples in the hopes that you would like….. and buy some to take home!
Day 3 of Spanish class began at 1 pm (we were about 20 minutes late). I would like to say that it’s getting easier, but that would not be true. Every day is a struggle, but I do think I have improved since Monday!
I had dinner with mama tica…chop suey! Since I have been here, she has not eaten the traditional “Costa Rican” dishes! We did have rice (arroz) last night in our soup…but no gallo pinto!

I would say ….Day 6 was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment