Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 13 in Costa Rica: Miercoles, 26 Mayo 2010

Today, we took a tour of El Trapiche Coffee and Sugar Cane operation. It is a family run business (now in the 4th generation). They process coffee beans and sugar cane. We also had a buffet lunch. It was a great tour...despite the rain! It was very interesting to see how the coffee was picked, shelled, dried, and roasted. The Sugar Cane was pretty amazing too...and we made 3 different kinds of "sugar cane candy".
There was also another earthquake this morning around 6:50 our time. I was sitting on my bed doing my homework when all of a sudden the room started to sway. Just before that happened a huge flock of birds flew overhead that I had just caught a glimpse of out the window...so at first I thought that maybe I was dizzy or something. It was a strange feeling! I haven't heard anything on the news about it...again, it's a common occurance here...so probably wasn't mentioned! I told my family that our presence was "shaking up" the country! ha ha!
We had a difficult Spanish lesson today. We are learning all kinds of new verbs past and present tense, fruits, and vegetables. Just before class ended, our instructor gave us an article about the education system. I knew that the information that I needed for a research project was in my hands and I couldn't understand it! It was very frustrating! I asked the instructor to share the article's content with us in English...and she refused! Again, this class is intense. She insists that we speak every word in class in spanish! I can tell you that I was furious...I almost left the class that instant! How frustrated are our students in classrooms who have the answers to their questions in their hands and can't read/understand the words! I am working on translating the article word by word from my dictionary. But do our students have that luxury? My CR family has offered to help, but I'm not sure we will have enough "Spanglish" between us to make sense. Do our students have someone at home to help translate their assignments?
End of Day 13...frustrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment