Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 3 in Costa Rica

Day 3 :Domingo- Sunday we went for a tour at the Cafe Britt Coffee factory. It was a learning experience. Making coffee is a complicated process. The Factory is responsible for preparing, roasting, packaging, and shipping the coffee. The roasting process determines the flavor and intensity of the coffee. Cafe Britt does not own coffee plantations. They purchase the coffee from local growers. I enjoyed the visit and bought some coffee to take home!

We went to CPI for our Spanish placement test. Then we met our families and went there. My mama tica is very nice. She speaks no English and as I speak very little Spanish, it sometimes gets awkward. I gave her a Southern/North Carolina recipe book. We sat down with our spanish/english dictionaries and read through the recipes. I translated the words she did not know into spanish words. she seemed very interested in a broccoli quiche! If I can find the ingredients, I will try to make that for her before I leave (assuming I have some time). I have a very nice room at the back of the house with my own bano...si! Muy bien!

Life here is very different. The sun comes up at 5 am and it is dark by 6...so people go to bed early and get up early! Suits me fine! I have a few hours at night alone, so that I can read (English) and relax!

Day 3 was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment