Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 7 - Jueves 20 Mayo 2010

I got an early start today and arrived at CPI at 6:45 am. I needed some time to get on the internet and check emails, post my blog, etc. We had a group meeting to discuss our level of language development and strategies. We then traveled back to Calle Viquez Primary School where we read books to the children and taught an AIMS lesson (using jellybeans). I enjoyed our time at the school. The students are so excited to have us there! I don’t believe they get many visitors. It gives them an opportunity to practice their English and us our Spanish.
I had a typical Costa Rican “casado” lunch at the local soda down from CPI. Our Spanish classes were interrupted by 2 events today. First, a couple from the indiginous tribe (called Boruca) came to the school to display their crafts. We saw a woodcarving and weaving demonstration. It was very interesting. There are 7 native tribes in CR. Then at 4 pm today, there was an earthquake! I didn't think it was significant, but learned that the quake was 6.+ on the scale and actually was about 40 miles S of San Jose....we are about 30 miles N of SJ...so it was something to feel 70 miles (mas or menos) from the center. It was a very exciting afternoon! Our Spanish instructor said that they are common in CR to signify the change in the seasons...from dry to wet (they don't have summer/winter/etc). So I guess that means from here on out, we may see more rain (more often). The weather for us has been perfect! Very accomodating for all of our outdoor activities!
I can't believe that I have been here for a week!
My mama Tica arranged a BINGO game at her casa last night. We played bingo until 11 pm with 15 of her friends. It was an opportunity for me to practice my Spanish numbers! I had a hard time keeping up! We had a traditional spanish dinner last night of tortillas and "stuffing" to go inside!
Thursday was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment