Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 8 en Costa Rica

Day 8 in Costa Rica: Vernes, 21 Mayo 2010

We participated in a Social Service project this morning with the Humanitarian Foundation in La Carpio. La Carpio is a community where all of the immigrants from Nicaragua have settled (there may be other immigrants there at this point). It is a very poor community. We visited with a Montessori school, a med clinic, and delivered a bunk bed to a mom who had nothing for her children to sleep in (the bed was in parts that will be put together). We also helped to construct another bunk bed. The work that Gail is doing (and has done since 1971) in this community is beyond amazing. Because of her, these people have a school for their children, a medical clinic, food, and other services that I can not even begin to name. I felt good about my involvement in this project, but it just wasn’t enough. We spent some time with the children at the Montessori school as well. They were practicing their numbers 1 – 5 (concentrating on 5 today). We helped with a craft, sang songs, and worked in centers. I would say most of these children were 1 – 4 years old. It was a very sad but worthwhile experience!
We returned to CPI for our last day of Spanish classes and had our last dinner with our families. I went with my mama tica to a gymnasium where they were having live music and dancing. She and I and four of her Bingo friends, wrapped Bingo prizes for about 2 hours! I have learned that Dona Maria is very popular and very involved with BINGO!

No comments:

Post a Comment