Sunday, June 13, 2010

Walking in the shoes of an English Language Learner……..

I have a new and deeper understanding of what it must feel like to be an English Language Learner. I recently spent 22 good days (24 total) as a Spanish Language learner in a country that speaks very little English. Simple phrases came easy…hola, como estas, donde esta el bano, cuanto cuesta, gracias, con mucho gusto, no entiendo…..you know those important words that can get you through the day….hello, how are you, where is the bathroom, how much does it cost, thank you, you’re welcome (Costa Rica’s version) and I don’t understand. The vocabulary words are easier to remember when knowing them is crucial to your daily needs!
There were times in those 24 days that I thought I would scream if I didn’t talk to someone in English. There were also times that I wondered if I had a brain at all as I struggled to stay focused and concentrate on what was being said around me. I had a million questions that I would have liked to ask and didn’t because I didn’t have the vocabulary….To make that conversation just took too much effort!!
The 5 students who went on this adventure with 2 professors seriously thought we were some kind of psychological experiment for the University! It was definitely a test of Brian Cambourne’s Conditions for Learning (7 or 8….depending on what website you read). We were “Immersed” in the culture, the language, and the family life. We were saturated with content, context, feelings, sights, sounds and tastes in every aspect of our day. We had “demonstrations” in class, at our family homestays, in restaurants, etc. Many times I resorted to a game of charades with my families so that we could converse! We knew that the teachers at CPI had high “expectations” for our learning…as they sometimes refused to speak any English…insisting that we only spoke Spanish in the classroom. Although, this was very frustrating, this strategy worked. It forced us to use the vocabulary and other resources we had at our fingertips. Problem solving became our “responsibility” as we worked through our language barrier, took charge, and became accountable for our own learning. We approached and passed ZPD’s daily in our language class. I’ll never forget a moment during the last week in Monte Verde, we were having a great conversation with Jackie (our teacher) about losing things….keys specifically….She told this funny, funny story about a time when she locked herself out of her house. We laughed so hard….but the amazing – ah ha – moment was that she told that story completely in Spanish….and I understand what she said!!!! We celebrated those “ah-ha” “approximation” moments almost daily. We also had the opportunity to “practice” what we were learning…sometimes more practice that I actually wanted! We had “feedback” from our teachers and fellow classmates…and support from each other!
I believe that all of Cambourne’s conditions were present and that those principles are applicable to learners of all ages….and all subjects! I learned some things about my own style of learning too! I need to see, hear, write and repeat before I can comprehend. I also need to apply and the content needs to be relevant! When those stipulations were met….the language was easier. I’ve learned some strategies that I will use in my future classroom…..which was the primary reason for my trip!
I loved Costa Rica and could not have picked a better place to go for 24 days! The country is breathtakingly beautiful. The people live simple lives and care deeply for one another. I am inspired by their dedication to preserve the flora, fauna, and wildlife…and their desire to make the whole country a better place to live! I applaud their commitment to be a carbon free country and their commitment to education. There is a “surprise of the day” every day just around the corner in Costa Rica~

No comments:

Post a Comment